pelicanwaterqld




lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Sydney Avenue

On 9 November 1914 the light cruiser HMAS Sydney engaged the German raider SMS Emden off the Cocos Island. 

The Sydney inflicted severe damage on the Emden, forcing the crew to drive the ailing ship onto North Keeling Island Reef.

The Sydney served on after the War, including a period as Australia’s flagship. In 1929 she was scrapped. 

Her 6 inch naval guns were salvaged and in 1940 transferred on Reg Sallaway’s International Truck to the newly constructed Bribie Fort. 

Together with the Moreton Island installation (also using the Sydney’s guns), these forts served out the Second World War providing protection over the northern entry to Moreton Bay.

thesydney
The Sydney

Return to Street Names

  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer