pelicanwaterqld




lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Stingray Harbour Court

Stingray Harbour

The inlet of the Tasman Sea (Pacific Ocean), indenting New South Wales, Australia. Roughly circular, about 5 miles (8 km) across and 1 mile (1.6 km) wide at its mouth (between the La Perouse and Kurnell peninsulas), it receives the Georges and Cooks rivers.

The bay was the site in 1770 of Captain James Cook’s first landing in Australia. 

He named it Stingray Harbour but later changed the name because of the variety of new plants found there by his expedition’s naturalist, Joseph (later Sir Joseph) Banks. 

Plans were made for Captain Arthur Phillip, of the Royal Navy, to establish a convict settlement there, but when he arrived in 1788 he found the bay area unsuitable for habitation and moved the colony 5 miles north to Port Jackson (later Sydney). 

Jean La Perouse, a French mariner, explored the bay that same year.

inlettasmansea
The inlet of the Tasman Sea

Return to Street Names

  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer