pelicanwaterqld




lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Lansdowne Street

Lansdowne Road

Ireland's Lansdowne Road is the oldest international rugby stadium in the world. Originally conceived by Henry William Dunlop, the stadium was opened in 1872, hosting its first rugby match between Munster and Leinster in 1876 and the first international in 1878. Until 1954, Lansdowne Road shared international games with Ravenhill in Belfast.

Lansdowne Road Future

No longer up to the demands of international rugby or soccer, the IRFU began planning for a new construction at Lansdowne Road in 2004. In 2007, Lansdowne Road was demolished to make way for a new stadium constructed on the site to open in summer 2010. 

History Of Landsdowne Road Stadium

The creation of Lansdowne Road Stadium was the vision of Henry Wallace Doveton Dunlop, an outstanding young athlete who organised the first All Ireland Athletics Championships. His vision was to create a purpose built sporting venue and this he did at Lansdowne Road where the Stadium first opened for athletics in 1872.

The original Lansdowne Road Stadium was a multi sports venue including as it did a cinder track for athletics, a cricket pitch, a croquet green, three football pitches and facilities for archery and lawn tennis. The first rugby match played at the ground was an inter provincial between Leinster and Munster in December 1876. 
In 1878 Lansdowne held its first international rugby fixture. In the early 1900s the IRFU secured the lease of Lansdowne Road from the Pembroke Estate. It was at this time that a plan was conceived to change the orientation of the stadium to North/South. Originally it had run from East to West. The first stand was built in 1908.

While Dunlop had conceived Lansdowne as a multi-purpose venue the ground soon became synonymous with rugby although even in the 1950s a crowd of 40,000 witnessed Olympic gold medalist Ronnie Delany run there in an international athletics meeting.

The most modern part of the stadium, the East Stand was built in 1983. It was during the 1980s that the Irish soccer team also made Lansdowne its home. The first football game at the stadium took place in 1971 when Ireland played Italy in a friendly.

landsdowne
Lansdowne Road

 Return to Street Names


  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer