pelicanwaterqld




lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Lamerough Parade

William Landsborough (21 February 1825 – 16 March 1886) was an explorer of Australia.

Landsborough was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, the son of Dr David Landsborough (a clergyman, entomologist and artist) and his wife Margaret, née McLeish.

William Landsborough was educated in Irvine and migrated to Australia in 1841.

He took up land in the New England district of New South Wales but had to abandon it because it was unproductive. 

When gold was discovered in 1851, he went to the diggings and had some success. 

He returned to the land again in 1853 in Queensland. 

With Nathaniel Buchanan he explored the tributaries of the Fitzroy River, Queensland in 1859. 

Bad seasons, however, resulted in his losing all his pastoral interests in 1860. 

He did some exploring, and traced the Gregory and Herbert rivers to their sources. 

In August 1861 he was placed in charge of an expedition to search for Burke and Wills, starting from the Gulf of Carpentaria. 

In the following November, Landsborough was presented with a service of plate valued at £500, and subsequently visited India and Europe. 

The Royal Geographical Society presented him with a gold watch for finding a practicable route from the north to the south of Australia.

Landsborough returned to Australia and in 1865 became a member of the Queensland legislative council for one session. 

Towards the end of that year he was appointed police magistrate for the district of Burke. 

Finding Burketown extremely unhealthy he made Sweers Island his headquarters and from there did much local exploring. 

In June 1872, he was made inspector of brands for the Moreton district and held this position for the remainder of his life.

On 27 September 1882 the government rewarded him with £2000 for his explorations. 

He used the money to buy a property, which he named Loch Lamerough, at Caloundra. 
William Landsborough named his property "Lamerough" after his native home in Scotland

Hardships as an explorer made him a sufferer from chronic indigestion. 

He died on 16 March 1886 and was buried on his land, survived by three daughters and three sons. 

In 1913 his widow had his remains moved to the Toowong cemetery where a monument is over his grave; another is near his first grave, Golden Beach

His journals are in the Oxley Library, Brisbane. 

His name is commemorated in Queensland by a town and an inlet near Burketown. 

In 1862 a gold-mining town in Victoria was named in his honour.

landsborough
William Landsborough 
21 February 1825 – 16 March 1886


Return to Street Names


  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer