pelicanwaterqld




lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Godwin Place

Starlight

The Starlight and the Victory were cutters owned by Charles Godwin to operate his fish cannery on the northern tip of Bribie Island.

He sold under the “Archer” brand label.

The explorer, William Landsborough’s son Lionel bought the business in 1907.

Charles Godwin (1858 – 1910 was the son of Jonas and Eliza Godwin of “Minety”, Wiltshire, England.

He came to Australia in 1886.

In 1910 he won a government contract to salvage “The Eastern” wrecked off Bribe Island.

When taking the last of the jettisoned cargo to Brisbane in the Victory he was knocked overboard and drowned near where the Bribie Bridge is today.

bribe bridge
Bribie Bridge
First Cars over bridge 1963

Return to Street Names

  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer