lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Botany Drive

Having first sighted land on 20 April 1770, on the far eastern coast of what is now Victoria, Lt. James Cook and his ship Endeavour continued northward along the east coast of Australia. On 28 April, Cook resolved to sail into "a bay which appeard to be tollerably well shelterd from all winds". 

Noting the profusion of stingrays, Cook initially named the place Sting-Ray Harbour. 

However, noting in his journal the "great quantity of new plants" collected by botanists Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander, renamed it Botanist Bay and then Botany Bay.
Following extensive investigations of the locality, the Endeavour headed northward again, exploring the (now) New South Wales and Queensland coast, sighting what Cook called the "Glass Houses" on 17 May 1770. 

Captain James Cook

Return to Street Names

  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer