pelicanwaterqld




lightning tracker  
Pelican Waters QLD - Street Names
Agincourt Street

The Agincourt 1850

The AGINCOURT was a privately owned barque of 669 tons, registered at London, and it operated out of the Port of London. It was built in 1844 at Sunderland shipyards on the Wear River in the County of Durham by CHARLES LAING for the Duncan Dunbar line, one of England's wealthiest ship owners. It was considered to be well fitted out and was said to be "well found" in every particular. It was well suited for the conveyance of Immigrants, although the arrangements of the berths amidships, owing to her small size, was deemed by the Immigration Board to be not so advantageous as the usual method of placing them on the sides. 

Her dimensions were length 127 ft, breadth 30.5ft, and depth 2lft4. The legislators of those days seem to have fiddled with tonnages, as in l843 the barque AGINCOURT was described as "543 tons (old Act), 669 tons (new Act)." By 1852 they were back to using the old Act and in 1884 she was rated at 562 tons. 

In 1846 the AGINCOURT is recorded as having her jib-boom snapped at Gravesend before sailing to Australia, arriving in Sydney 25th June, 1846 and seems to have been a familiar sight in Australian ports. She also came to Sydney in 1848. 

The Ship's Doctor in 1848 was Richard Atkinson - one of his assigned duties was the appointment of a passenger as a Teacher for the children and another passenger to assist him as an Orderly in the Ship's Hospital. He selected two emigrants whom he considered best suited to the jobs. At the completion of the voyage the Doctor recommended that a gratuity of £5 be granted each.

agincourtship
Return to Street Names
  © Jasprit Design 2009 Disclaimer